Changing name, birthdate, licenses, certifications,
or deceased status
Using the pick lists
Education and Training
Suppressing information from publication
Previewing a summary of your information
Comments or suggestions
When you have completed all desired changes, be sure to
click on the ‘Submit’ button that appears on summary
screen. Your changes will not be
saved correctly if you just close the browser instead of clicking
on the ‘Submit’ button.
name, birthdate, licenses, certifications, or deceased status
- To protect your identity and ensure against fraudulent
identity claims, these data elements can NOT be changed
electronically through this site.
- Appropriate documents must be submitted to your state license board and/or
ABMS Member Board(s) to change, correct, or update these elements
- Complete details regarding which documents are required
can be found on the Personal Information screen, along with contact information
for all 24 Member Boards and the American Board of
Medical Specialties (ABMS).
- It may take as long as 90 days for changes to be
effected in these five (5) data elements, once your state licensing board and/or certifying
board has received the appropriate documents.
All other categories will reflect changes
immediately upon completion.
Please note: If your Board has started to issue certificates based on Maintenance of Certification (MOC)
your profile will reflect that information, provided your Board has sent the update to ABMS. As you may
be aware MOC is the lifelong training process for diplomates, established in 2000. Each of the 24 Member Boards
has guidelines for measuring MOC participation.
Some Member Boards include a reverification date with the MOC type certificates, which replaces fixed
expiration/end dates in the spirit of lifelong learning. The reverification date is used as a reference for
the credentialing community to re-verify your certification status.
NOTE that the reverification date is usually annual and will not necessarily coincide with the MOC
activity intervals prescribed by your Member Board. Each Member Board has its own criteria for determining
whether or not diplomates are participating in MOC. We only display what has been reported by the Member
Board ("Status not yet reported" will appear if your Board hasn't reported MOC participation).
Contact your Board directly for specific details about how they address MOC. A complete contact list
for each Board can be found after logging into this website and clicking the link for details
on making changes to data on the Personal Info page.
the pick lists
- Some fields will offer a drop down list from which to
select the applicable data, in order to keep information as
consistent as possible.
- Please be certain that your data is not
already in the list before selecting "Other", if that
option is allowed.
- If "Other" is selected, please be certain to
identify the specific data that applies to that field.
- When you select the country (e.g. United States),
appropriate options will be offered in the following fields. Once
you select your state, the city list will allow you to pick
from valid cities for that state, then recognized zip codes for
- Please identify ONE address to be used
as your mailing address, at which we should
contact you if the provided e-mail address isn’t
- Your primary address is considered the
main address at which you practice. It may be the same as your
mailing address, or different (e.g. if you prefer to receive
non-patient correspondence at your home address or at a PO box).
- You may indicate as many secondary
addresses as applicable, if you have multiple offices.
- Check the appropriate boxes to indicate your full-time
&/or part-time medical activities, as appropriate. You may
select up to 4 categories. Please refer to the list below if you
have difficulty choosing among the categories offered:
- PRIVATE PRACTICE SOLO — If you
are practicing alone.
- PRIVATE PRACTICE GROUP/PARTNERSHIP
— If you have partnered with one or more physicians.
- PRIVATE PRACTICE MANAGED CARE (HMO)
— Practicing under the auspices or guidelines of a managed
- MILITARY/GOVERNMENT — Employed
as a physician by any federal government agency or
- STATE/LOCAL GOVERNMENT —
Employed as a physician by any government agency other
- ACADEMIC FACULTY — Employed by
an educational institution to provide some level of medical
- MEDICAL ADMINISTRATOR —
Employed in any administrative capacity.
- FELLOW — Currently
performing residency or fellowship.
- SALARIED HOSPITAL/CLINIC —
Employed as a physician by any private hospital or clinical
- VETERANS ADMINISTRATION
— Employed as a physician by a VA hospital or clinic.
- EMPLOYED BY INDUSTRY (PRACTICE)
— Employed as a physician by any firm in the private
- EMPLOYED BY INDUSTRY (RESEARCH)
— Employed or contracted as a researcher by any firm.
- LOCUMS TENENS — Working on a
temporary basis in place of a long term physician.
- Selecting Retired Full Time will allow
you to select up to 3 Part Time categories, if
you wish to indicate that you occasionally teach or do locum
tenens, etc. You may not select any other Full Time
categories if you are retired full time.
- Please use these categories to provide details about
your medical education and training only. Although we appreciate
that all education is important, these credentialing resources only include
data about your medical background.
- Each field contains a drop-down menu from which you can select the
appropriate information, along with the option to suppress
- If you are uncertain of the exact graduation year, please approximate.
- When adding or editing your training information, you
can include as many fields as you need. Drop-down lists
make it easier for you to include and update your
information. If your institution is not
included, you can type it in by choosing ‘Other’ from
the drop-down and then typing the appropriate detail in the space
- If you are uncertain of the exact Start Year and End Year, please approximate.
- Please indicate your hospital appointments. If you are
uncertain of the exact Start Year and End Year, please
- Academic Appointments should relate to teaching
positions within the medical profession. Although we
appreciate that you may be qualified to provide other types of
education, we only want to include data about your
professional medical activities.
- Professional Memberships should also include only those
associations that are related to your professional medical
Once your information has been entered, edited,
or confirmed, please use the Save or Update links, located
in each window, before you proceed to the next section.
Clicking the Reset button will revert the
information on the current screen to its original status, before
you made any changes, IF you have not yet
If you are currently on an ADD or EDIT
screen and change your mind, click the X at the top right of the window to discard your
entries and return to the previous screen.
information from publication
- Several categories allow you to check "Yes" or "No"
to suppress data. Selecting "Yes" indicates that specific elements should
not be published (e.g. birthdate, birth place, etc.)
- Please remember that a
variety of agencies use this data for credentialing and
privileging. A comprehensive profile makes it easier to verify
identity and eligibility for various activities.
- So, carefully choose which fields, if any, you mark to
be suppressed, since unavailable data could cause delays in
granting hospital privileges, health plan acceptance, etc.
- Home addresses and phone numbers will automatically be
suppressed from publication once they are identified as
- Information identified as "Home/Office" will
be published, unless marked for suppression.
a summary of your information
- Selecting the My Profile link will allow
you to view your complete information, as currently recorded.
- If you have not yet saved the current screen,
that information may not appear in your Preview.
- The My Profile screen will automatically appear when you
Logout, so that you can determine whether any additional changes
are needed. If you are satisfied with the review, click the Submit button.
To make additional changes, click the More Edits button.
- Please feel free to e-mail comments or suggestions about
this website to email@example.com.
- If you have questions or comments about the data in your
profile, please include the Biography Number or
ABMS UID number from the Personal Information
Technical support is available M-F 7:30am - 7pm (Central time zone). Please see
the Contact Us section for phone and e-mail options.